Charles Soule, M.B.S.
B199 Mayo, MMC 195
420 Delaware Street S.E.
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Direct: (612) 626-2518
Master of Biological Sciences, Major Biology, Emphasis Physiology
University of Minnesota Graduate School
Date of Graduation: July 2005
Bachelor of Science, Major Biology
University of Minnesota College of Biological Sciences
Date of Graduation: December 1992
Scientist, June 2002 to Current, University of Minnesota
Department of Surgery, Section of Experimental Surgical Services
Promoted from Assistant Scientist November 2005
"Molecular preservation of skeletal and cardiac muscle from
Assistant Scientist, November 1993 to June 2002, University
of Minnesota Medical School, Department of Anesthesiology
Promoted from Principal Laboratory Technician March 1999
"Development of the large mammalian isolated working heart
model -- The Visible Heart"
"Understanding of cardiovascular anesthetic complications"
Senior Laboratory Technician, January 1991 to November 1993,
University of Minnesota Medical School, Department of Medicine,
Section of Infectious Diseases
Promoted from Undergraduate Research Assistant October 1992
"Characterization of the genotype and phenotype of select HSV
"Development of molecular testing for Lyme Disease"
1. Bandschapp O, Soule CL, and Iaizzo PA. Lactic acid restores skeletal muscle force in an in vitro fatigue model: are voltage-gated chloride channels involved? Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2012 Apr;302(7):C1019-25. Epub 2012 Jan 11.
2. Venkatasubramanian RT, Wolkers WF, Shenoi MM, Barocas VH, Lafontaine D, Soule CL, Iaizzo PA, Bischof JC. Freeze-thaw induced biomechanical changes in arteries: role of collagen matrix and smooth muscle cells. Ann Biomed Eng. 2010;38(3):694-706. Epub 2010 Jan 27.
3. Bandschapp O, Ginz HF, Soule CL, Girard T, Urwyler A,
and Iaizzo PA. In vitro effects of propofol and volatile agents on pharmacologically induced chloride channel myotonia. Anesthesiology. 2009;111:584-90
4. Hong H, Sigg DC, Coles JA, Oeltgen PR, Harlow HJ, Soule CL,
and Iaizzo PA. Hibernation induction trigger reduces hypoxic damage
of swine skeletal muscle. Muscle Nerve. 2005;32:200-7
5. Hill AJ, Laske TG, Coles JA, Sigg DC, Skadsberg ND, Vincent
SA, Soule CL, Gallagher WJ, and Iaizzo PA. In vitro studies
of human hearts. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005;79:168-77.
6. Chinchoy E, Soule CL, Houlton AJ, Gallagher WJ, Hjelle
MA, Laske TG, Morissette J, Iaizzo PA. Isolated four-chamber working
swine heart model. Ann Thorac Surg. 2000;70:1607-14.
7. Kehler CH, Hebl JR, Soule CL, Gallagher WJ, Houlton AJ.
The effect of reduced myocardial cyclic AMP content on the response
to milrinone in the isolated guinea pig heart. J Heart Lung Transplant.
8. Haanes EJ, Nelson CM, Soule CL, Goodman JL. The UL45
gene product is required for herpes simplex virus type 1 glycoprotein
B-induced fusion. J Virol. 1994;68:5825-34.
1. Hebl JR, Houlton AJ, Soule CL, Kehler CH. The effect
of sympathectomy on the response to milrinone in the isolated guinea
pig heart. Anesthesiology 1995 Sept;83(3A): A626, 1995 Annual Meeting
- American Society Of Anesthesiologists, Atlanta, Georgia
2. Haanes EJ, Nelson CM, Soule CL, Goodman JL. Suppression
of a glycoprotein B syn Mutation in the HSV-1 CAM-Invasive recombinant
F1 correlates with diminished invasiveness. 1992 17th International
Herpesvirus Workshop, Edinburgh, Scotland
Contributor: The Visible Heart Viewer. Educational
CD, Version 1.1, University of Minnesota and Medtronic Inc., December
Contributor: The Visible Heart: A New View Into the
Heart. Demonstration CD, University of Minnesota and Medtronic Inc.,
Contributor: The Human Body Gallery at the Science Museum
of Minnesota, The Visible Heart display.
Presenter: University of Minnesota Community Heart Fair at
the Science Museum of Minnesota. Presented Dr. Lillehei's prototype
blood oxygenator, March 22 2003